Roasted Artichoke Spread
Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 80 min
- 3 large artichokes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, lengthwise quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon finely ground sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil
- Carr's® Table Water® Crackers with Cracked Pepper
1. Bend tough outer leaves of one artichoke back until they break off, discarding leaves. Remove enough leaves to reach tender, yellow-green interior leaves. Using serrated knife, cut off dark green tops of tender leaves. Trim artichoke stem to 1-inch length. Remove outer dark green layer of stem. Lengthwise quarter artichoke. Remove fuzzy choke; discard. In large glass or stainless steel bowl combine artichoke pieces and lemon juice, completely coating artichoke. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
2. In large ovenproof skillet* combine artichoke-lemon mixture, 5 tablespoons of oil, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cook over medium heat until boiling, stirring frequently. Cover skillet. Bake at 325°F about 35 minutes or until artichokes are tender and browned in spots. Cool.
3. Discard bay leaf. Transfer artichoke mixture to food processor bowl. Cover and process until smooth. Add basil and remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Cover and process until smooth. Serve with crackers.
*Note: If an ovenproof skillet is not available, transfer hot artichoke mixture to 2-quart casserole before baking.